Gajendra P.S. Raghava
Chief Scientist & Head Bioinformatics Centre
Institute of Microbial Technology
Background: Raghava is a scientist working at Bioinformatics Centre, Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh, India. He did his MSc Physics from N.A.S. College, Meerut, UP in 1984; and MTech from Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T.), New Delhi in 1986. In 1996 he received a doctorate in bioinformatics from Institute of Microbial Technology and Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Professional Experience: He worked as Postdoctoral fellow at Oxford university, Oxford and European Bioinformatics Institute, Cambridge UK (1996-98). Worked as Bioinformatics specialist at UAMS, USA (2002-3 & 2006) where he establish bioinformatics infastructure. Raghava woked as visiting professor at POSTECH, South Korea (2005)
Scientific Contribution: Raghava is a strong suporter of open source software and open access, all resouces develoed at his group are free for scientific use. His group developed more than 200 web servers and 25 databases in the field of computer-aided drug/vaccine design (probably highest number of services developed/maintained from a single group in the world). These services are heavily used by scientific community, nearly 100,000 hits per day. Group published more than 180 research papers in reputed journals with avargae impact factor around 4.0 Most of papers are highly cited, total citations more than 6000 with h-index 43 and g-index 105 as per google scholar. In addition group contributed/maintained number of web sites that include i) CRDD, ii) OSCADD, iii) OSDDlinux, iv) CSIR Informatics Portal, v) GENESIS, vi) GPSR Packages, vii) OSDDchem, viii) Sysborg2, ix) OSDD .
Major Awards/Honours: He got following major national awards/recognition
- Listed in The Worlds' Most Influential Scientific Minds 2014
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological Science, 2008
- National Bioscience Award for Carrier Development, for year 2005-2006
- NASI-Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Award, 2009;
- Thomson Reuters Research Excellence - India Research Front Awards, 2009
- Prestigious J. C. Bose National Fellowship by DST, 2010.
- Young national leadership award by Lakshmipat Singhania-IIM Lucknow, 2011
- Fellow of National Academy of Sciences (F.N.A.Sc)
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Science (F.A.Sc.) Banglore.
SATPdb: Structural annotation of therapeutic peptides
CPPsite 2.0:Updated version of cell pentrating pepptide database
Raghava Listed in The World's Most Influential Scientific Minds by Thompson Reuters