Bioactive Screening, Clinical Microbiology, Bacterial Drug Resistance and Drug Discovery.
- Current Research Projects:
- Tackling of multidrug resistance in ESKAPE pathogens using an alternate approach such as efflux pump inhibitor, enzyme inhibitors, cell penetrating peptides, etc.
- Discovery of new antibiotics from natural secondary metabolites, chemical libraries, etc and repurposing of FDA approved drugs, against ESKAPE pathogens
- Pursuance of industry-specific problems in the area of antibiotic discovery
- Past Research Achievements:
- CSIR’s SIP project, “Bugs to Drugs” in 12th plan with three leads (efflux pump inhibitor, non-lactam β-lactamase inhibitor, α-synuclein inhibitor) to take forward for next level of development.
- Cell penetrating peptide (IMT-P8) as drug delivery vehicle to control drug resistance in Gram positive bacteria. (GENESIS, 12th plan.
- The collaborative project on, “Skin care technology and preparations”, with Procter & Gamble, Bangalore.
- An industry sponsored project on, “Screening of stereo-selective hydantoinase and carbamoylase for production of drug intermediates”, with DSM Research, Netherlands.
- Randhawa, H. K., Gautam A., Sharma, M., Bhatia, R., Varshney, G. C., Raghava, G. P. S. and Nandanwar, H. (2016): Cell-Penetrating Peptide and Antibiotic Combination Therapy: A Potential Alternative to Combat Drug Resistance in Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 100 (9), 4073-4083.
- Kuppala, R., Tambat, R., Mugunthan, G., Patel, N., Nandanwar, H., Bhutani, K. K. and Kartha, K. P. R. (2016): Synthesis and antibacterial activity of ricinoleic acid glycosides. RSC Adv. 6, 3700-3713.
- Roy, S. K., Pahwa, S., Kumari, N., Agrahari, U. C., Bhutani, K. K., Jachak, S. M. and Nandanwar, H. (2013) NorA efflux pump inhibitory activity of coumarins from Mesua ferrea. Fitoterapia 90, 140-150.
- Roy, S. K., Kumari, N., Gupta, S., Pahwa, S., Nandanwar, H. and Jachak, S. M. (2013): 7-Hydroxy-(E)-3-phenylmethylene-chroman-4-one analogues as efflux pump inhibitors against Mycobacterium smegmatis mc2 155. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 66, 499-507.
- Roy, S. K., Pahwa, S., Nandanwar, H. and Jachak, S. M. (2012): Phenylpropanoids of Alpinia galanga as efflux pump inhibitors in Mycobacterium smegmatis mc2155. Fitoterapia 83, 1248-1255.