Bacterial taxonomy & Systematics with special emphasis on Phototrophic purple Bacteria, Molecular Phylogeny, Prokaryotic diversity of extremophiles and their bioprospecting.
Microbial world is the largest unexplored reservoir of biodiversity, which is a vital and an essential aspect of biology that always stands as the base for their exploitation in animal, plant, industrial and environmental applications. We are currently working on exploring novel Antimicrobial Resistance Genes (ARG) from mas gatherings and diverse niches by cultured diversty and functional metagenomic approach. Our research is focused on the exploration of physiologically diverse group of bacteria from extreme and challenging habitats based on polyphasic taxonomic approach which includes: (Morphological, Molecular, phylogenetic, physiological, biochemical and chemotaxonomic). The research is extended to microbial bioprospecting in search of potential/novel bioactive molecules such as enzymes and antimicrobials. The focus is also stepping into investigation of cytotoxic metabolic intermediates from phototrophic purple bacteria.
- Venkata Ramana Vemuluri, Shreya Shaw, Caroline Autenrieth, Robin Ghosh. (2017). A rapid procedure for the in situ assay of periplasmic, PQQ-dependent methanol dehydrogenase in intact single bacterial colonies. J. Microbiological. Methods. 137, 46-49.
- Vikas. S. Patil1, Rahul. C. Salunkhe, Ravindra. H. Patil, Husseneder. C, Yogesh. S. Shouche and V. Venkata Ramana* (2015). Enterobacillus tribolii gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel member of the family Enterobacteriaceae, isolated from gut of a red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. 107, 1207-1206.
- V. Venkata Ramana, S. KalyanChakravarthy, Ramaprasad, E.V.V., Ch. Sasikala and Ch. V. Ramana (2013). Emended description of the genus Rhodothalassium imhoff et al, 1998 and proposal of Rhodothalassiaceae fam. nov.and Rhodothalassiales ord. nov. Systematic and Applied Microbiology. 36, 28-32.
- Venkata Ramana, V., Kalyan Chakravarthy, S., Shalem Raj, P., Vinay Kumar, B., Shobha, E., Ramaprasad, E.V.V., Sasikala, Ch. and Ramana, Ch, V. (2012). Descriptions of Rhodopseudomonas parapalustris sp. nov. and Rhodopseudomonas harwoodiae sp. nov. and Rhodopseudomonas pseudopalustris sp. nov. and emended description of Rhodopseudomonas palustris. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 62, 1790-1798.
- Venkata Ramana, V., Shivali Kapoor, Shobha, E., Ramprasad, E.V.V., Sasikala, Ch. and Ramana, Ch.V (2011). Blastochloris gulmargensis sp. nov., isolated from an epilithic phototrophic biofilm. Int.J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 61, 1811-1816.
For Complete Profile : Click Here